Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Reality??

Is reality television good or bad for society? Some think it is a good thing, and some are disgusted that it is so accepted. There are so many a different kind of reality TV that I believe it is hard to say all reality TV is a good or bad thing.
I personally am a fan of certain shows like Survivor, Hoarders, Operation Repo, and LA ink. Where people are really competing or dealing with real issues. Survivor is a show where people all compete in challenges while living in a secluded part of a jungle or island. Hoarders show people who are mentally unable to throw away anything. Seeing how these people live makes me wonder about my grandparents whose house is getting more cluttered every day. In Operation Repo it is showing the life of a repo-man. Dealing with angry people who are getting their vehicles repossessed. La Ink is showing life from the eyes of a tattoo artist. I don’t like the reality shows that are a bunch of obnoxious people living together in a house. Dating reality shows aren’t in my top choices for reality shows either. When American Idol came out I was a fan, but now there has been how many seasons? There are so many plays off of American Idol, from so you think you can dance, to best dance crew, and American Idol for over 30. I really don’t understand how they can take a good idea, and warp it. Play it out to where everyone has some kind of version of it.
The reality shows I don’t understand are the let’s see how many kids you have, girls are just fighting or dating shows. It seems like now- a- days if you have an abundance of kids, a slutty attitude, or desperately want to marry you are allowed a major network television show. These are the shows that I believe are corrupting our future leaders. There not giving any examples of good values. Have kids you can’t afford, clothes that don’t fit, and marry someone you don’t know.
If these are the shows that are coming out now, what is going to be coming up in the near future? The vulgarity just keeps climbing. There are reality shows about whore houses, playboy bunnies, and prisons. What’s next? What could really out do these shows? We will see what the future holds, but I personally won’t be supporting them. What is going to be on the TV when my son is my age? Who is it coming up with these shows, and do they have any moral value? What do their parents think? Or do they approve it, and is this why they are making these shows?
I don’t know what the future holds, but I’m sure it will be escalating as it has for many years now. Things certainly weren’t like this when I was a child, and I’m sure it won’t go back to that. We will see, and I hope things change the way they are going.

7 comments:

  1. You taste in shows are ok except for that repo show which seems way to staged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually Oscar, you're right, they are staged...if they were "real" life incidents, then you would of heard of arrests being made for assault/battery and weapons charges...but since they are staged, the "actors" know their lines/jobs. The only time I have heard about reality show members in the news was of course, Hulk Hogan admitted to the hospital for back spasms, Dwayne "Dog" Chapman..."Dog The Bounty Hunter" for his rage issues, and of course, Phil Harris, Capt. of a ship in "Deadliest Catch" who passed away earlier this year. Good post Jessica...keep 'em coming

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shows you don't understand are the same ones I don't understand either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about some of the people on the dating shows, but I have too admit... I love to watch! Its funny to see some of these people make complete asses of themselves. No one watches these shows seeking instruction on moral values... Its all about entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked watching flavor of love that show was funny. Every reality show does a spin off and that gets annoying

    ReplyDelete
  6. The show Hoarders:Burried Alive has a positive effect on em. I'm already a clean freak but after I watch that show I clean even more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree about taking a great idea of America Idol and turning it into many different reality shows.

    ReplyDelete