Thursday, August 26, 2010

Past, Present and Future




I was born in Santa Barbara, California, Sept 1982. I am a single child, but I do have a half brother I used to see about once a year. When I was in third grade my parents divorced. My father stayed in Santa Barbara, and I moved to Fresno with my mother. We lived in a 5th wheel in the back of my grandparent’s house. When I was twelve my mother remarried and we moved in with him and his father. He was controlling, and later would lose his mind. I was grounded constantly and failed in school. When I was fourteen I stayed in a sanctuary for 3 weeks, and when I came home my step-father told me he was not ready to have me home. That same night I was on a train back down to Santa Barbara to live with my father. After living with my father for about a year he told me to pay rent or move out. I dropped out of school, started working full time and moved in with my boyfriend at the time. After renting a room in a house with 15 people; still paying 900.00 a month we decided to move to Oregon. Prices were cheap for houses, and we could afford to purchase one. After living in Oregon for a few years we got married. A year later we were divorced and I was knocked up with another man’s baby. I tried to make things work with my son’s father, but we were no good for each other I left him, and moved back to California to be close to my family.

Currently I am enrolled at Oxnard College, and until recently I was not sure of what I was studying for. I have recently come to the conclusion that I want to be a Dental Hygienist. I know most people think “why??” But honestly it’s a good profession. It is something that I can do, and financially support myself and my son. My main goal is just that, to live comfortably without the support of anyone else. So I am happy with my decision and know many struggles will lie ahead.

The future is a tricky one, every decision impacts our path. Hopefully I can make the right decisions and stay focused. Once I get my AS degree I will work full time as a Dental Hygienist, find a house that fits my family. If my mother’s health doesn’t get better, she will be living with me. I want to continue my education and move toward a BS, Masters and eventually you will be calling me Dr. Garcia. However, first things first…. Passing English!

3 comments:

  1. Your experiences have taught how to be a strong person and being strong will make you a better mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are truly a strong mother. I mean you have been through some struggle but that only made you stronger and I admire that. Your gonna do great for you and your son and mother. I hope you great luck. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you been though alot. The past is the past but we learn from it and get stronger and move ahead. Seems you know what you want and i love how you want to help you mother once you get a house. Wish you all the best in the class and your future!

    ReplyDelete